Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 9   [ 81 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: I'd like to train but don't know how, QA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:50 am 
Hydra RELOADED

Rep: -77
Ask questions. If there are answers worth putting in the OP Kim or I will edit. Doesn't have to be just about gym, it can be related to cycling, kayaking, cardio or whatever.

1: General beginners info - read this first!

Kimura Masahiko wrote:
some good faq's (its from an mma forum so some of it is mma specific but they are really good in general). If you don't really know what you want to do, spend 30 minutes reading through all of these and I promise that afterwards you will.

Strength + Power (Weightlifting mainly) - http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/stren ... a-1339105/

Conditioning (Cardio/Endurance) - http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/condi ... ad-497312/

Diet - http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/d-s-f ... ng-718093/

2: I want exercises I can do at home

Chunky Milk wrote:
Pretty much every day, at the very least don't go more than a day between.

Push ups 3 x 30 if you can, or 4 x 20. When you feel stronger throw your feet up onto a chair so you end up putting more weight on your front.

Chair Triceps dips. Pretty much same reps as pushups, but it just depends how strong you are from the get go. Again try be strict about doing it and the amount you do, ie: don't give in too early.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQoPL3u0leE

Kimura Masahiko wrote:
do sets of push-ups, sit-ups, bodyweight squats, pull/chin-ups if you have somewhere to do them. do it every other day or something. dunno how many you can do at the mo but lets say you can currently do 30 press-ups before failure (i.e. you cant do any more without cheating on form). for a work out i would do

1 set of 20 push ups
1 set of 20 sit ups
1 set of 5 pull ups
1 set of 20 squats

then repeat 4 times. should take like half an hour i guess. do it every other day.

then the next week do

then

etc.

make sure you go as deep as you can with squats, keeping your heels on the ground, as this will be very important for learning to squat properly with weights.

also be sure to spend a few minutes do some stretches after.

3: I'm thinking of signing up to a gym

Kimura Masahiko wrote:
check this out, free guide to a very good beginner weightlifting program to activate beastmode http://stronglifts.com/free-stronglifts-5x5-report/

do that plus do some sport/cardio stuff a couple of times a week and you have an awesome training program right there.

before you sign up to a gym, make sure it

1) has a squat rack, which will look like one of these:

2) allows you to deadlift (a very important lift that some shit gyms get pissy about cos you drop/bounce the weights sometime

then you are good to go.

Chunky Milk wrote:
When starting out it's good to do exercises that work multiple muscle groups.

Kimura Masahiko wrote:
you need to do dem squats too, lifting shit is a lot more about leg + core strength, not arms.

ie you want exercise that look more like this:

and less like this:

so add in sets of bodyweight squats to what chunky suggested above. and a few months down the line you should think about joining a gym so you can use barbell etc

4: Random Info

Anarius Faust wrote:

Suitonia wrote:
Another good thing worth pointing out is that it takes about 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain that its full/satisfied. So eat slowly, especially if you usually find yourself eating a lot. Eat a small portion, wait 20 minutes, eat another small portion if your still hungry usually works for me.

If you're trying to lose/maintain weight suits advice is great. If trying to gain weight suits info is also good, except do the opposite, eat as much as humanly possible before 20mins ie: before your brain tells you you're full.

Kimura Masahiko wrote:
yeah if u are looking to get leaner its basically just burning more calories than you eat. weight training is just as good as cardio though, you should be doing both. and high intensity cardio is better than low unless you want to be and look like a marathon runner.

Post subject: Re: I'd like to train but don't know how, QA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:41 pm 
Corp member

Rep: -18
what about those of us who have literally no upper body strength and struggle to do just 20 push ups?

what do we do?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:53 pm 
Director

Rep: 575
start with less.

if you have to start with sets of 10, do it. if you have to start with sets of 5, do it. its all about gradual progression. as long as you are doing it consistently you will get better, fast.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:07 pm 
Hydra RELOADED

Yep, in regard to the workouts it's more about the structure rather than the actual number of reps posted, there's never a problem in changing things up to suit your abilities. Like Kim said, you will notice some fairly quick improvements over the first few weeks, so keep it up!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:44 am 
Corp member

Rep: 57
I would like to put on a little weight, I eat heaps but nothing changes.
I can't be fucked going to the gym, and don't really feel comfortable being around a bunch of macho guys so something from home would be gr8.
Will pushups help with this? Or should I get some weights?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:59 am 
Director

Mickey Simon wrote:
I can't be fucked going to the gym

heres your problem

also like 75% of people in most gyms are women running on the treadmills, don't be a cry babby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:33 am 
Hydra RELOADED

Mickey Simon wrote:
I would like to put on a little weight, I eat heaps but nothing changes.
I can't be fucked going to the gym, and don't really feel comfortable being around a bunch of macho guys so something from home would be gr8.
Will pushups help with this? Or should I get some weights?

Give the OP beginners info a read.

To actually put on some weight, weights will be the way to go. Bar bell and a couple dumbbells even. In general you don't have to do as much as you'd think for small gains. You're also not eating enough (clearly if you're not putting on weight) but you need to be doing some form of resistance training otherwise you'll literally just put chubby fat on. Resistance training will also increase your appetite.

You'll also find if you were ever to join a decent gym with 'macho guys' that 99% of those macho guys are actually really chill, especially the bigger guys as they're serious about what they do. The ones that walk around going 'my dicks bigger than yours' are usually the less serious faggots.

also you may known dv from a nqxi roam I got him to come along too a year or 2 ago

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:10 am 
Corp member

Kimura Masahiko wrote:
Mickey Simon wrote:
I can't be fucked going to the gym

heres your problem

also like 75% of people in most gyms are women running on the treadmills, don't be a cry babby

Hi m8, I don't know where you live but the gym near me costs a ridiculous amount per year, is almost always full when I actually have time.

I'm sorry that I don't enjoy spending travel time and hanging out with a bunch of other sweaty people when I'd rather be at home after work.

Chunky: You are probably right, I guess the people I know from highschool and Uni who went to gyms have no doubt coloured my perception because they were macho dick measuring types.

Perhaps I don't eat enough, but I eat slightly more then most people I know, and at least the same as most people I know who have weight problems. I can't forsee me being able to eat more without bloating myself so maybe it's my diet? High in sugar and protein? idk will read op links~

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:20 am 
Director

well you can keep making excuses for not doing it but thats not really what this forum is for son.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:51 am 
Corp member

Kimura Masahiko wrote:
well you can keep making excuses for not doing it but thats not really what this forum is for son.

I'm not making excuses, I'm simply saying I don't want to go to the gym. I make no apologies for that, that's why I asked "will pushups be enough~~" m8r

Have been reading through the OP links, lots of stuff from heaps of different places makes it a little hard to digest but most of it seems to be you need to start off small, work ur weight up, and lifting more is better then doing lots of reps for small stuff.

Is my diet super important? Or is just eating lots of protein like I usually do, combined with the lifting of weights likely to do the trick over a period of time?

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 9   [ 81 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next