Hydra RELOADED

Rep: -77
Shiroi_Okami wrote:
Chunky Milk wrote:
Shiroi_Okami wrote:
Chunky Milk wrote:
admiral mariobros wrote:
thats not a university tho, the first university came much later

Lol, are you really trying to argue on technicalities? The point is that it was a more formal setting to discuss ideas, which is the same way philosophy is taught in Uni today.

And yes I am definitely comparing, why wouldn't I?

It's not remotely comparable to how 'philosophy' is taught today

How so? People read up about what philosophers/people wrote before them, they come up with their own ideas, they discussed their ideas in a forum. AFAIK that's essentially what the Greeks did and it's what we did.

And Kim, it's nice to build some of these people up as if they're superhero's, but not all of them were boss mode, many of them were just people that questioned the norms of their times using logic. Something which hadn't really happened that much. But at the end of the day they're still just people and I doubt they were Einstein tier.

Socratese (iirc) was pretty cool though, apparently, he was really good at teaching people by getting them to go through their own internal logic to arrive at a conclusion that he was trying to teach them. Basically he would keep asking them questions so that they would have to explain things themselves.

Their method was solely based on thinking and discourse, not sitting in a theatre listening to someone babble while not really paying attention and just marking down stuff that is relevant to the exam or whatever essay they have to write to pass the course.

Ok cool I can see you haven't actually taken a philosophy course at Uni :ausbad:

edit: just so I don't leave you hanging m8er, but unlike many Uni courses most philosophy courses don't require heavily sourced essays. Instead they're mainly marked from the use of logic to create/further ideas and the way someone is able to use another's philosophy/thinking to further their ideas/argue against it/reveal implications of their ideas that they may not have foreseen. I remember getting an A for an essay where I had 2 sources, 1 of which was a guys paper which I was arguing against. My point is, is that your marks had almost nothing to do with taking notes & thenrepeating them in an essay m8

Last edited by Chunky Milk on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: TIPS TO GET BETTER AT LIFE ANd STPO FAILING
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:09 am 
Brutal Dictator

Rep: 121
Chunky Milk wrote:
Shiroi_Okami wrote:
Chunky Milk wrote:
Shiroi_Okami wrote:
Chunky Milk wrote:
admiral mariobros wrote:
thats not a university tho, the first university came much later

Lol, are you really trying to argue on technicalities? The point is that it was a more formal setting to discuss ideas, which is the same way philosophy is taught in Uni today.

And yes I am definitely comparing, why wouldn't I?

It's not remotely comparable to how 'philosophy' is taught today

How so? People read up about what philosophers/people wrote before them, they come up with their own ideas, they discussed their ideas in a forum. AFAIK that's essentially what the Greeks did and it's what we did.

And Kim, it's nice to build some of these people up as if they're superhero's, but not all of them were boss mode, many of them were just people that questioned the norms of their times using logic. Something which hadn't really happened that much. But at the end of the day they're still just people and I doubt they were Einstein tier.

Socratese (iirc) was pretty cool though, apparently, he was really good at teaching people by getting them to go through their own internal logic to arrive at a conclusion that he was trying to teach them. Basically he would keep asking them questions so that they would have to explain things themselves.

Their method was solely based on thinking and discourse, not sitting in a theatre listening to someone babble while not really paying attention and just marking down stuff that is relevant to the exam or whatever essay they have to write to pass the course.

Ok cool I can see you haven't actually taken a philosophy course at Uni :ausbad:

I took it in high school and I've sat in on one a few times at uni, and it is literally the same as any other critical essay based literary subject. You may have group debates or something but I doubt you're assessed on them, and they are nothing like the methods of learning philosophy of old

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:26 am 
Hydra RELOADED

Rep: -77
Read above, I started the edit before I jumped in the car.

Lol, m8 high school is all about repeating what was said. I did have one exam that required repeating some of the shit from lectures, do not saying it doesn't happen, but that was first year and my other 3 were nothing like that one. They all allowed argumentative critical essays & gave us the choice of a very broad range of topics. (honestly most would allow you to come up with your own question if it was suitable). Sitting in lectures is nothing like the tutorials btw, I didn't go to the vast majority of mine.

Keep in mind I'm not saying that philosophy in Uni is some holy grail of knowledge, it's definitely not & most ppl are scrubs just using the subjects to make up their course grid. However I'm just saying it was still quite useful to practice critical thinking outside the box in a (many times vigourous) group environment while then being forced to really articulate your own ideas onto paper.

p.s: Kim, I think philosophy has evolved to become the sciences, including social sciences etc, so I'd agree it's probably not so useful on its own anymore. Saying that iirc philosophy literally means something like striving for knowledge or something similar, which would obviously encompass what science does.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:11 pm 
I'M A MASSIVE RETARD

Rep: 127
what should I study if I'm already capable of critical thinking?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:26 pm 
Director

Rep: 575
women's studies, to go full circle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:33 pm 
Corp member

Rep: 486

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:31 pm 
Director

Rep: 423
Bunk, Gavjack Bunk wrote:

glad you finally joined the conversation, the quality of debate can only go up from here

ps. okay morel if that's your division of "producers" and not, how do you feel about people who come into an inheritance? i.e.: let's say i inherited about ~£5mil, that's not even that much in the grand scheme of things (which is a bit depressing in itself), but it's enough to hire someone to manage my wealth and i could quite happily live much better than the average person just off the interest

(some conservative maths, say 1%/year ignoring inflation would be ~£50k. the median uk salary is about £24k/year.)

where would i fall into the "producer"/"consumer" scale? would it be acceptable for me not to add anything to society whatsoever because my parents or grandparents or greatgrandparents were "super producers" or whatever?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:00 pm 
I'M A MASSIVE RETARD

omfg i deleted my post by accident

Last edited by William DeMeo on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:28 pm 
Director

Rep: 423
William DeMeo wrote:
the bank pays you interest because they lend that money to people who produce things, it doesn't just sit there.

i'm talking about me personally. am i a "producer"? don't obsfucate, i know very well why banks pay interest you dipshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:22 pm 
I'M A MASSIVE RETARD

delete this post plz shit is fucked

Last edited by William DeMeo on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 18 of 20   [ 197 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next